Monday, January 28, 2019

Too Old for This?

My new driver's license arrived. In the picture I look like an old man. Well, I guess I am an old man - I have gray hair and a white beard. Most days I feel like I should be still in my 30s or so. I think I can take on just about anything that I've always done.

And then there are other days - like today. I got up this morning not feeling very well. A cold or something. I get moving a little slow. I wonder if I'll be able to lead kids in music effectively. I feel tired.

But something happens when I get into the room with the kids. I don't know if I pull energy from them (because they seem to have an endless supply). But when I'm in a room, playing music and clapping rhythms and moving to songs and so forth...I feel like I can anything. Occasionally I even fall on the floor with the kids. (Well, maybe once but that's it.)

Today at the end of our music time, we were moving to a favorite song "All Fall Down." It's a building song. First we clap and then fall down. Next we make a face, clap, and fall down. And so on, adding movement each time, building up to the falling down each verse. As we finished the song, one boy said (lying on the floor): "I'm getting too old for this!"

When I heard that, I felt that I would never be too old to enjoy time with boys and girls.

Today's Joy: Spending time with kids and music

No comments:

Post a Comment