Monday, January 7, 2019

Resolutions? Goals? Or What?

It's the beginning of the new year and I've done nothing about it. Well, now, that sounds rather weird, doesn't it. I've done nothing to think about the new year. I haven't reviewed 2018. I haven't set any goals. I didn't choose a word for the year or list any resolutions.

And today I decided that I'm not going to do any of those things.

I'm not trying to be rebellious or difficult or countercultural or anything. I think to keep the finding the joy I need to let go of some pressure. And that's what goals do for me - turn on the pressure.

I've always heard that goals are a good thing and, believe me, I've worked them. I set goals in different areas of life. I make plans (and sometimes follow them). But whenever I set goals - no matter what they are or how hard I work - I always see the failures. The ways I didn't meet them.

So I have three things for 2019...things related to helping me continue to find joy. (Call them goals if you want but I'm not going to do so.)

1. I'm going to read. I have a reading target (not goal!) of 75 books this year. Will I make it? I don't know. But I'm going to read a lot and read lots of different things. Some of them may be good for me but some will be just for fun. I love to read and I'm going to do a lot of it.

2. I'm going to learn something new. I want to learn something I've never done before. I have a couple of ideas but haven't settled on anything yet. Maybe use a sewing machine and make a quilt. Maybe take lessons on a musical instrument. Maybe something else. (Not skydiving!) But I want to learn something completely new and find joy in being a beginner.

3. I'm going to do something that scares me. (Again, not skydiving!) That may be write a book. It may be to preach a sermon. (Yikes!) It may be something else entirely. But I want to push myself a little harder, beyond my comfort zone, and find joy in just trying.


Today's Joy: Skip the goals and try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment