Saturday, January 5, 2019

Little Moments

I'm an indoor guy. I like to read and write and not sunburn so I stay indoors more than I do stuff outdoors. But I do like to watch things outdoors.

My desk sits in front of a window and that window overlooks our backyard. Behind our fence is a wooded area. I often look out over this area as I'm "writing" and "thinking." And sometimes little moments of joy appear.

I saw a beautiful blue bird sitting among the empty brown branches. I don't know where he came from; he's the only one I've seen in months. But the bright colors reminded me that even in the starker times, color can be found.

Mostly I see squirrels. They bound along the tops of the fences. They leap from tree to ground to tree again. Sometimes they romp alone and other times they have fierce games of chase and tag. They appear in all shades of brown or gray and a few even look black. I know they are working to survive each day - but what they do often looks like they are enjoying themselves while they do it. That's what this journey of joy is all about for me. Seeing the bright spots in the journey, not missing the joys as I move along each day.

I love having a window in my office. Seeing the sun or the rain (or sometimes the snow). Seeing leaves fall and squirrels romp. Watching for the robins to return in the spring. Looking out on the world that God created reminds me that those little moments of joy can appear at any time. Don't miss them.

Today's Joy: The little moments in nature that make me smile

No comments:

Post a Comment