Sunday, January 6, 2019

A Child's Perspective

I find it easy on Sundays to see joy. Each week I get to spend time with kindergartners, talking with them and learning with them. I get to hear what they are thinking. I can see them create and play and practice and learn and explore.

Today as Cindy was telling our Bible story about Joseph, she mentioned that he had 11 brothers. She asked, "Would you want 11 brothers or sisters?" The consensus was no. Then one child spoke up: "Yes. Then they could clean everything and I wouldn't have to do it."

Hmm. Good cause and effect thinking!

Laster Cindy said that Jacob gave Joseph a special coat. "He loved Joseph most," Cindy said. A child said quietly, "Uh oh."

I chuckled to myself but also thought that the child is beginning to put things together, draw conclusions, and understand implications. And I must say that "Uh oh" is the perfect response. Just look what happened later in Joseph's life!

A child was using the paint sticks, making designs on a coat shape. The child wanted to use every color we had. Opening and using a pink color, he remarked: "Oh...this is HOT pink!"

I love to see their thinking and the way they bring their own observations and experiences to the new things they encounter.

Lastly, a child was drawing on the white board: "Guess what I'm drawing?" I made a few (ridiculous) guesses. The answer: "God."

"Wow," I said, "I can't wait to see it." Later the child called me over and asked me to take a picture. (See above.) There was God...amongst the stars.

I love listening to children's thinking and seeing them grow.

Today's Joy: Seeing things through a 5-year-old perspective

No comments:

Post a Comment