Saturday, January 19, 2019

Childhood Joys That Last

One thing the past couple of weeks has reminded me is that joys in each of our days are usually the smaller things. My attitude and my attention to the small things has shown me more times that I have joy than times I don't. This is another of those small things.

It is interesting to me the way tastes or foods you enjoy change over time. As a kid, I didn't like broccoli or strawberries. I enjoy both now - not at the same time. In fact, strawberry ice cream is now at the top of my list of ice cream to get. I once ate a medium rare steak as a kid and absolutely hated it. While I do prefer my steak more well-done, I don't mind some pink (or even a little red) in it now. As a kid I liked to eat circus peanuts (those marshmallow things); now not so much. I sometimes ate mayonnaise sandwiches as a snack when I was younger; I haven't eaten one of those in...well, forever. (And haven't wanted one either.)

Some things stay with you throughout growing up. I still do not eat raisins or spinach or sauerkraut. I love Oreos - but not the "fake" ones or the ones that masquerade as Oreos in different flavors.  I could go on but I won't. I like some good Tex-Mex whenever I can get it. And I can eat carrots (raw or cooked) but the handful. (Yay! A vegetable!)

The joy I thought about today are some snacks that take me right back to the joy I had as a kid. Snack cakes, especially Little Debbie treats, are things I enjoyed then and things that make me smile now. I'll buy some oatmeal pies or Nutty Buddies to have in my office - for those times when I need a snack to boost my thinking and creativity. I must eat in moderation but I do enjoy a boost from those little cellophaned treats.

Today's Joy: Childhood treats that still deliver some joy today.

No comments:

Post a Comment