Thursday, January 17, 2019

Standing in Line

Today I had to go renew my drivers license. Yes, I waited until the last few days before my license expires to go, so I had to stay there no matter what today. Cindy went with me since hers is also expiring in a few weeks. (She's always ahead, I guess.)

We went right after I finished with the 2s and 4s in music today. Now we only have a couple of locations where you can get this done. Last time I renewed online (my favorite way). but this time I had to get a new picture. They must have seen how much I've changed on Facebook.

And, of course when we got there, we encountered a line. It was a line to talk to the first desk...then you had to go sit in chairs to talk to another desk. So we began our wait. Overall the wait was pleasant. I heard people behind me talking about the solution to all our immigration problems. ("Just buy Mexico!") No one was happy about the wait but they didn't act unhappy either. The ones who did seem to be unhappy just left...so that was good.

Did I find joy in the waiting line? Well, I don't remember being joyful at the time. And I don't remember making a conscious decision to avoid being unjoyful. But I remember thinking that there was a line and we had to get it done and the line was moving mostly at a steady pace. I didn't need to be anywhere else at a particular time. And things were good.

Every employee we encountered was very nice and helpful. Even if they didn't seem to be in much of a hurry...but that is just my assessment I'm sure.

As I look back on it, it does seem a little enjoyable in retrospect. We found the location without much trouble. It quit raining when we went in and out - so we didn't get wet. My license is renewed for another 7 years (and the next time I think I can renew online). What could have been stressful and frustrating wasn't. I think that rates as joy.

Today's Joy: Getting something done without frustration and stress

No comments:

Post a Comment