Thursday, January 24, 2019

Adventures in 1-derland

As the music teacher for Mothers Day Out, I get to lead musical activities with all ages of preschoolers. This includes the 1-year-olds. Now my musical activities are simple for this age group. I go to the classroom with a CD player, simple rhythm instruments, and bubbles.

One-year-olds are an interesting lot. At the beginning of the year, most are skittish. They stare at me and keep their distance. I may be able to coax them closer with an egg shaker or tambourine, but they will take it and then move quickly out of reach.

Even now some are still a little stand-offish. They are more comfortable with me being there but still keep their distance. Others welcome me to the room and walk to where I normally sit, just waiting for me.

Today in the ones' room, I sat down and handed out shakers. The kids began to shake them before I started the music. We shook shakers and sang. Some wandered the room; others sat right next to me or stood close by.

One little guy sat with shakers in hand and stared at me. He didn't shake his eggs, just held them. He watched everything I was doing. This guy just started again at MDO this January. He was upset in the fall and everyone decided he needed a little more time for adjustment. He still cries when he's dropped off, but he stops fairly quickly and has adapted to the routine.

When I pulled out the bubbles today, everyone pressed in. I blew bubbles and they chased them and popped them. The little guy came and stood right next to me. He opened his mouth each time the bubbles flew into the air. (Maybe he was trying to catch them on his tongue? I don't know.) I talked to him and the others near me as I blew the bubbles.

Then he began to babble softly to me. I don't know what he said. But he talked! The first time he has spoken to me and one of the few times I've seen him so engaged (so far). My smile was wide.

I had some great conversations with several 1-year-old friends, including this new friend. I decided there's not much more joy than a 1-year-old deciding you are okay and talking to you.

Today's Joy: Music and bubbles with 1-year-olds

No comments:

Post a Comment