Thursday, January 3, 2019

Take a Breath

I've been a freelancer for a while now. It's still hard for me to shake the thought of working 8 to 5 - or a reasonable facsimile of that schedule. In my mind, I need to get up, eat breakfast, and jump into work. I end up working a variety of hours at a variety of times but still feel like I'm shirking if I'm not working in the middle of the day.

Today I decided to give myself time. I slept in a little late. I took my time through the morning routines. I watched a favorite show and even had a nap. Today I found joy in time for rest - literal and figurative.

God has been teaching me all during 2018 about rest. A key verse for me has been Matthew 11:28. If Jesus calls for us to rest in Him. I have not learned as much about rest as I could. I'm still keeping this verse as a focus for this year. I'm learning to give my anxiety to Him - to rest my mind on Him instead of worrying about things.

But I have not always been as good about resting physically. If I take any time off from working, I still think about it or feel guilty about it. Today I felt like I had to just stop. I didn't approach my computer until this evening. I didn't think about work or feel guilty about not working at that moment. I want to be responsible and to fulfill my work assignments. But I also want to enjoy the season I'm in right now. It's a freelance season - a season when my time is flexible. I want to rest in where God has me and what God has called me to be at this moment. I will enjoy and not put additional stress on myself. (And I will meet those deadlines!)

Today's Joy: Rest - and don't stress about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment