Tuesday, January 8, 2019

A Little Time, a Little Ink

Since I'm a writer, I have looked for ways that my writing can support and encourage others. For the last couple of years, I try to send short notes to people each week or so. The last part of 2018 was a little crazy for me and I dropped this practice. I am beginning this year determined to get back into it. Writing and sending notes brings me joy.

I had already started again this year when something happened that affirmed this choice. I got a short note in the mail, thanking me for something I had done. That note brought me so much joy...on a day when sad things were winning. Getting notes brings me joy, too.

I will put that note in my "affirmation file," a place full of notes that I've received. I'll reread through them from time to time. In this stack are notes from children and from adults. Some are drawings, some one word or a few lines, some longer. But each one brings me a quick feeling of appreciation and joy. It's hard to realize that such a small investment - a little ink, a little paper, a little time - can produce such large feelings.

I'm committed even more to sending notes. It doesn't take me a lot of time but it can spread the joy that I experience each day.

"A person finds joy in giving an apt reply - and how good is a timely word!" (Proverbs 15:23)

Today's Joy: A timely word, received in the mail

No comments:

Post a Comment