Friday, February 1, 2019

Pen to Paper

This month of discovering or recognizing joy has been very revealing to me. First, joy is always there. Even in the lamenting times, I see the joy of God or others sustaining and bringing me through. Second, joy can be just about anything that brings light to you. So, as I think about this final day of seeing the joy, I know just what to focus on.

I love writing. I love the feel of pen or pencil or paper. I like to see the words appear on my screen as I type. I see the joy of having something that didn't exist before (and maybe needs not to exist again!). Writing is a personal joy.

When I'm frustrated, I write. When I'm happy and excited, I write. When I don't know what to do, I write until I get an idea. I enjoy writing scenes and scenarios that will never see the light of day, lurking in my notebook or folder, waiting to be read again when I stumble across it. I enjoy writing poems and playing with words. I like writing songs for preschoolers to sing. I write Bible studies and blog posts and notes. I write things that no one else ever reads, that only Cindy reads, and that post that maybe no one reads. I like to get reactions to what I've written but the joy comes by putting fingers to keyboard or pen to paper.

The joy comes from using a talent that I've been given. We each have something that we do that brings joy--singing or playing music, painting, sewing, building things, molding clay, dancing. Those creative joys can fill the dark corners, helping us find a path to joyful living.

And, as a writer I must give the warning: Be careful what you do; it may end up in a story I write.


Today's Joy: Writing and creating

No comments:

Post a Comment