Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Looking for It

I spent every day for a month looking for the joys - large and small - and found something each time. This current month I have not specifically searched for something each day - and you know what, I haven't seen something every day. I'm not saying it wasn't there. I'm say that I didn't see it.

We are a funny lot. We see the things that we are looking for. We tend to miss things that are right in front of us. This is a trait that we use for good and bad. If we suspect something, we see all evidence of it. If we want something, we see its traces everywhere. If we don't like something, it pops up everywhere we look.

So...I want to continue to see joy. I want to see evidence of God's glory. I want to see His hand at work. So I'm looking for those things.

When I sat down to write this today, I was feeling a little down. That's why I began to write about looking for joy. And you know what, several things suddenly appeared in my head.

  • I spent the day working on things that I love to do. I worked on preschool curriculum, and I think that teaching young kids is just about the best thing ever.
  • I got to work in my sweatpants. I get to wear my comfy clothes many days since I work at home. (And believe me, no one wants to see me in my sweatpants.)
  • I had doughnuts for breakfast. Not a big deal in the overall scheme of things...but still something good.
  • I got up this morning. This day wasn't promised to me and God gave it to me anyway.
  • I read my Bible this morning. And I could. No one protested or threatened me because of it.
  • I got to talk to my wife. She's here, not in a hospital sick or worse. She can hear my voice thanks to the grace of God and technology.
There's more, so much more that I could say. 

Is there stuff on the other side? Of course. I could probably easily list things to be upset or sad about. But I find those all too easily.

I'm just going to keep looking for the joy every day. (And maybe write it here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment