Friday, February 15, 2019

All the Love You Could Want

Valentines Day has come and gone. It's never been a very important holiday for me/us. Cindy and I will exchange cards or gifts sometimes. But we often express our love for each other throughout the year - with notes or small gifts or kind words or everyday helpful actions. We've never made a big deal of Valentines Day.

This year I had Valentines Day with preschoolers. I made sure to buy socks with hearts to wear on that day. (Socks have become a big deal for me, for some reason.) I wore my red shirt. I watched the children come into the center, wearing red or hearts or other special clothes. Some carried Valentine boxes they made at home; others carried bags of Valentines for their friends.

Throughout the day I received numerous "knee hugs." I saw smiles and smiles - and couldn't help but smiling myself all morning. I heard about new shoes or shirts or whatever was on their minds. It seemed that everyone had something to tell me. One boy raised his hand; he said, "I'm here on my own today." I was confused for a moment until I realized that his twin brother was not sitting next to him. Quite an accomplishment to go places alone when you normally have someone with you.

I heard small voices say "Happy Valentines Day!" I heard loud voices singing and shouting. (It just happens.) I even received a bag of snacks and a card from the 4s.

Someone told me that I would become a rock star when I became the music teacher at the preschool. Now I know exactly what she meant. I walk down the hall and hear my name whispered or called. Sometimes I cause a ruckus in the doorways as I walk by. Or, if I stop to say hello, I can cause disruption.

And the thing is, it doesn't need to be Valentines Day or any other special day. I get all this unconditional love and acceptance each time I show up at the center. I hope I am learning the lessons they are teaching me--be excited to see everyone; tell them that you care about them; accept them just as they are, even if it's a tall lumbering bearded music man.

Being with a group of preschoolers is just about the best place I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment