Thursday, February 28, 2019

Pay Attention to Your Ministry

I often jokingly (well maybe not so jokingly) say that I'm a slow learner when it comes to spiritual things. God often must teach me the same thing over and over and over. Or remind me of things that I "learned" before. Or hit me upside the head with the metaphorical 2 by 4 so I will pay attention. Well, that's happened again for me.

Today I was reading in Colossians 4. At the end of the chapter, Paul is writing messages and greetings to different individuals and groups. One of the very last things that he writes is this: "And tell Archippus, 'Pay attention to the ministry you have received in the Lord, so that you can accomplish it.'" (Colossians 4:17) Hmm.

I don't know who Archippus was. I did a quick search and the only thing I found was that he is a man mentioned by Paul who had some sort of ministry. But I certainly wonder about him now. What was his ministry? Why did Paul feel the need to give this specific message to him (and individually to him)?

I wonder if Archippus was distracted by things happening in his church or culture. I wonder if he was anxious and overwhelmed by the challenges. Or maybe he just wasn't doing what he should be doing. Maybe he was discouraged or rebellious or just tired. Whatever was happening, he needed Paul's encouragement to pay attention to the ministry he had been given so he could accomplish it.

This is the third time in recent days I have heard this similar message.

First, Cindy shared a quote with me from Elizabeth Elliot: “When you don’t know what to do next, just do the thing in front of you.” What is the thing in front of me? The ministry God has given me.

Then a friend encouraged us in a devotion to focus on whatever ministry God has called us to do and not get distracted by other things. Concentrate on what God is telling you to do right now.

Okay, slow learner or not, I think I'm seeing a definite message here. I need to focus on what God has for me to do. Not worry about what someone else is to do. Not worry about or think about or be concerned about other work that needs to be done. What is the ministry I have received from Him?

A few years ago when we started our current journey, I prayed for what I needed to do. I learned four words that sum up my ministry - at least for right now. I posted these words in my office and I see them daily. This is what I need to pay attention to.

WAIT - I need to wait on God and not try to "make things happen."
WRITE - Writing is a gift and a passion from Him. I need to keep on writing, both my assignments and even when I have no assignments.
LISTEN - I must make a concerted effort daily to read the Bible and listen for what God is teaching me. I must also listen to the people around me.
SERVE - Each day I must look for ways to serve others in His name. Opportunities will present themselves if I just pay attention. (There's those words again.)

And when I do these things? I definitely feel His joy.

So I will pay attention to the ministry I have received from God so I can accomplish it. I am Archippus.

No comments:

Post a Comment