Monday, February 4, 2019

Dealing with Change

I have a thing about tradition. Or at least doing things the same way all the time. While growing up, my family had various traditions for Christmas and birthdays. I like that we did the same things all the time. I guess it made me feel secure.

When Cindy and I married, we developed a few traditions of our own. But as time went by and we moved or changed situations or whatever, those things also changed. There are few things that we do the same now. We kind of just go with the flow.

But that doesn't mean I've given up on "doing things the same way all the time." One of my Sunday School guys and I have a tradition or ritual. I always take him downstairs after the session is over (to meet his grandmother). When we get to the stairs to go down, we "race" to the bottom. He gets rid of some energy (he has a lot); my knees get a workout (and complain later usually); and we have some fun time together. It sounds a little silly but I think this has helped us build a better connection.

I like when things are predictable. When things change up, I sometimes get a little antsy until I find a new equilibrium. While I like trying new things, I don't want it to upset my regular stuff. Or at least I want to blend it into my regular stuff and make the new part of the regular.

But the Christian life isn't like that, at least not all the time. God is a God of transformation and that means change. Maybe He's not changing me but He's changing others around me or creating new opportunities so circumstances change. I often feel unsettled or anxious as changes happen. But, when I come out of the other end of the change, I see what God was doing. We understand God's work more looking back than looking forward. That's because we think in ways so different from Him.

Two verses I've been recalling as I'm dealing with changes and anxieties--

"Be still and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10)
         Another transition says "Stop fighting and know that I am God."
Stop fighting what He's doing! Be quiet and let Him do His work.

"If only you would be altogether silent! For you, that would be wisdom." (Job 13:5)
         Another translation says "If only you would shut up and let that be your wisdom." 
Stop talking! Self talk or talking with others can create problems that hinder what He's doing.


So I guess I need to rely on Him and be a wise (silent) man. I can't wait to see what He's doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment