Monday, February 25, 2019

The Key to Joy

Paul wrote: "I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content--whether well-fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:11-13)

Paul learned that God strengthened him to do anything, to deal with anything, so he was content in all circumstances. In a recent Bible study, the author commented about being content. And then he said that if you wished for things to be different, you were not content. Uh oh.

I say that I trust God in all things. I say that I believe God is in control, that He is sovereign. I say that He will work out all things for His glory. If I truly believe all of that, why do I so often wish that things were different than they are. I must be content in whatever circumstance I find myself (as Paul said). And, even if it is not the circumstance that I would have chosen, I should not yearn for things to be different. Discontent undermines, leaving a crack for the enemy to wedge in and disrupt joy.

I must rest, content in where God has placed me; rest in the sovereign hand that knows what is, what was, and what will be; receive the strength that allows me to endure prevail over whatever comes. In that contentment is my joy.

That doesn't mean that I am happy about everything that happens. (Happiness isn't the same as joy.) That doesn't mean that I do not hurt or mourn at brokenness and loss. But underneath all of the emotions that stir inside us is that abiding joy and strength that comes from Him.

His strength = ability to do all things = content in whatever circumstance = joy

No comments:

Post a Comment