Thursday, February 21, 2019

Sweating with the Preschoolers

Today we got a workout. I had music with 3s and, for some reason (they are 3), I planned lots of movement activities. We waved scarves to fast and slow music. We marched with our scarves, reversing direction several times. We sang a song and pretended to play instruments. We moved like different animals to some grooving music. We "popped up" (which is their favorite thing to do ever). And we sang that traditional movement song (with related movements) "Father Abraham."

"I'm sweaty, Mr. Scott," several of my friends told me. I was, too.

In between those movement activities, we had some sit-down songs, too. We sang one song about growing and moved our hands up as if we were growing. One boy kept pushing his hands through his hair. I asked him about it. "My hair is growing," he replied. I completely understood what he was doing.

One group of 3s wanted to sit close today. So I was surrounded by children, all sitting within arm's reach. I introduced the song "Kookaburra" to them. The song played and I moved slightly back and forth as I sang among the children. It suddenly popped into my mind that I felt like Mr. Rogers, singing and talking with children. I felt in my element.

My joy today was being with those 3s. And seeing the other age groups as they came into the center or when I peeked into their rooms. I know I write a lot about music with preschoolers. But I had no idea how blessed I would be this year with this opportunity.

In months that have had ups and downs, anxieties, and some sadness, I've been gifted with opportunities for welcoming smiles and excited voices, ready to tell me what they brought for Show and Tell or what they saw just outside. I've been given a place where I feel I truly belong.

In a time of searching for joy, I've received more than I could have imagined.

No comments:

Post a Comment