Monday, February 18, 2019

The Road

I'm continue to learn or maybe relearn that the road that God has us traveling on is not always an easy-to-understand path. It can be difficult or confusing or even hurtful. But with Him it is the road we should travel.

Several years ago I started down what I believed was a right road, a new turning point in my life. Shortly after that I ran into a dead end. That road ended - and not by my choice. I wandered confused and waiting. And waited for a while until I realized that my "waiting room" was my new path. I still don't understand all that happened then or why things happened as they did - but I know that the changes I experienced were preparations for what came next.

I'm now in another part of the journey where I'm not sure why things are happening as they are. But God's thoughts and God's ways are not the same as mine. And even when I don't understand or can't understand, I can trust in Him. Seek the path He is lighting for me.

A few years ago, in that before time, I started writing a poem. I found it again today and refined it some. It speaks to where I was...and in different ways where I am today.

The Road
The twisty turning road
Seems to lead to nowhere
What was a bright and shining path
Has dimmed, a shady cul-de-sac

The wait that held promise, full and new, 
The wait that caught excited breath
Now seems interminable
A long pause with no resolution

The connection that brought new understanding
New ways to know both self and God
That connection now is frayed
With garbled messages at best

Was it all a mistake, 
A dream that really wasn't right
A turn that shouldn't have been made
A path best left untrod?

No.

The glow of that unfound promise
Continues to burn at horizon’s edge 

This twisty road
Still seems right
Still seems true
Still beckons

Even when it seems I've no more steps to take.

R. Scott Wiley

No comments:

Post a Comment