Friday, March 29, 2019

Blessings as Burdens


One way I keep joy from being present is by not seeing the blessings. And often I may even look at what I've received as burdens. I think this is even worse that not being thankful - turning something for which I should be grateful into a complaint.

Right now I have a lot of things to do. This week was extremely busy for me. I had meetings and appointments and expectations. I have writing that is overdue. I have lots to keep me going. How do I look at this? Sometimes I say: "I have so much to do. I'll never get it all done." I complain about it and worry about it and so forth. What I should say is: "God has given me so many opportunities. I am thankful that I have ways to earn what I need for my expenses." I look at the blessings and see them as burdens.

Sometimes I may say: "Oh. Spaghetti (or whatever) again. I wish I had something else." In a Bible study last year, I learned that wishing for things to be different is a sign of discontent. I should be saying: "God provides food each day. Even more food than I need because I am never hungry. And my wife is well and can make dinner for me. I am thankful for a full pantry and for someone to share it with."

Do we have challenges? Sure. But others have a lot more than we have. And we've been equipped to deal with each one that comes along. God is good.

I am so easily distracted from joy, thankfulness, and contentment. Why is it so easy to look at the abundance I've been given and moan about how to handle the surplus?

I am thankful for what I've been given, every bit of it. I pray I would see that joy and contentment in each day, in each thing that comes to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment