Thursday, March 7, 2019

Absorb the Joy Around You

I'm an agreeable, go-along kind of guy. Well most of the time. My wife may choose to offer rebuttal. But in many cases, I can go with just about any scenario. If someone feels hot and turns on air or feels cold and turns on heat, I can adapt. Most rooms are just fine for me. Whatever the group chooses as a restaurant is fine; I can find something to eat on most menus. I really don't have a favorite food or a favorite restaurant - it depends on what I'm in the mood for if I'm choosing but usually I'll just go along with whatever someone else chooses.

It sounds as if I have no opinions or that I'm a wishy-washy person that just does whatever. Not exactly true. Most of the time it's just not that big of a deal for me. Where we eat or what movie we see isn't that important as long as I get to spend time with the people with me. I guess I'd rather avoid drama and wait for something that I really feel strongly about.

There are several dangers with being an agreeable sort. One of them is that I tend to pull in the emotions around me. If people around me are upbeat, I'll become more upbeat even if I've had a bad day. If people around me are low, I'll become more somber even if I was pretty happy when I arrived.

It's like I am what I experience. I become what is around me.

Maybe that's why I enjoy being with preschoolers so much. They are almost always joyous and excited. Seeing a rainbow or a sparkly dress or a ladybug or a fire truck can ramp up the happiness. And I become more and more happy with them.

Things around me have been a little tough lately. I've experienced some angry people and some sad people. The weather has been dreary. The atmosphere around me a little melancholy. I don't blame others for the way I've been feeling, but being surrounded by difficult circumstances and upset people has caused me to be in more of a fog than I usually am. (Again, my wife may disagree!)

This has made me more committed to finding joy each day - and absorbing that joy inside. My joy today is enjoying unexpected morning off and accomplishing some tasks.  Nothing is better for motivation than checking items off the to-do list.

Today's Joy: Unexpected Free Time

No comments:

Post a Comment