Monday, March 25, 2019

Different Gifts

I am thankful for the written word. I am so glad that every day I have the opportunity to put words together and create curriculum or stories or blog posts or other things. Words have been helpful to me since I was young. I love to read and I love to write. I am thankful that this is the gift I have.

But I am thankful that others have different gifts. If everyone was the same as me, then we would be missing a lot in this world. We would not have lots of beautiful music. I like to sing but I'm not a great singer. I wish I could play the piano but I cannot. I love to hear music - all kinds - and I'm grateful that others have musical gifts so I can enjoy them.

I am thankful for people who can fix things. I'm not very adept at this type of stuff. I can drive a nail. I can change a tire. But I don't enjoy those things and I cannot do many of those things well. I am grateful that others can tune an engine or take down a tall tree or make the computer work right again.

I am thankful for people who create. Art and sculpture and beautiful things. New inventions or ways of doing things. I am grateful for people who see things in different ways. Preschoolers always show me new ways of thinking and seeing and creating. They are some of the most imaginative people I know.

I am thankful for people who serve. Those who pick up my trash each week. The ones who prepare food and bring it to the table. Those who stock grocery shelves and mow lawns. Sometimes we don't see these things as gifts. But when someone is handling these tasks, they are giving me back time because I don't have to do them. Through their service, they provide space for me to practice my gifts. That's a powerful gift to me, and I am grateful for those who give it.

Today I am thankful for the gift that you give each day to the world around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment