Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Something I Didn't Know I Needed

About a year ago, a friend asked me if I would be willing/interested in leading a music class for a homeschool co-op. While I've had some different experiences teaching and leading kids, this was something new for me. I try to be open to new things so I agreed.

And I immediately panicked inside. What would I do with the kids for an hour? How could I teach music when I'm not trained for that? And...lots of other things. But I took it one step at a time, found some resources, and begin to make a plan.

This week I completed the semester. This experience is something that I did not know I needed but I'm so grateful for doing it. I was reminded or relearned a few things during these classes.

  • Kids are funny. I enjoyed each one of the kids in my music class. They were individual and interesting. They surprised me and challenged me. And they made me a better teacher.
  • Fancy stuff isn't needed to teach. I did borrow some instruments from the church to use from time to time. But we used plastic cups and sand in bottles and wooden sticks with bells and paper with crayons to create different musical experiences.
  • Sometimes you can joke around and be "one of the kids" and sometimes you gotta be the adult. Yes, I did use my stern voice a few times during the semester.
  • Music is a great way to learn and greater when shared. If nothing else, I had an enjoyable time each week singing and moving and learning with boys and girls.
  • I do have some teaching skills. Those took a beating a while back and it was good to see that I can indeed teach.
  • It's always a good idea to try something new. Even if things don't work out, I can learn something.
I didn't know I needed this particular experience. But I did. And I get to do it again in the fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment