Thursday, April 4, 2019

Fine Dining

Today I had a very important lunch meeting. I had lunch with one of the three-year-old classes. We compared lunch boxes. We compared lunches. We talked about things that had happened and people in our families. Someone offered me crackers from her lunch. (I declined but thanked her.) We talked about the music that was playing. We exchanged opinions.

"I like all the colors...except orange."
"Why don't you like orange?"
"I don't know. It's just a weird color."

Overall, I was treated like a VIP and welcomed into the class community - all at the same time.

One thing was interesting to me. All the conversations and the entire experience was positive. No complaining or negative talk. If we ventured into something negative ("I like peanut butter but not jelly"), it seemed to divert back into positive ("But, you know my brother? He likes peanut butter and jelly"). I didn't think about it at the time but every comment, every conversation was filled with excitement and joy.

I think we adults function in the opposite manner. Most of our casual conversations seem tinged with negativity--traffic is so bad, the workload is mighty, the weather is too (whatever). We may have positive things to mention but the complaints seem to prevail. (Note, I am the chief of offenders in this.)

Now I know that children are not always happy and joyful. But in many situations that is their default setting. Encountering something new or unusual or different, most children are curious and excited. Many adults, encountering something new or unusual or different, are suspicious and withdrawn. As we grow older, our overall approach seems to change from welcoming to weary.

Joy leaks out of preschool rooms and playgrounds. I hope that by spending some time with young children each week, I can move my default from weary complaint to welcoming excitement.

I am thankful that each week I get to see life from the young end of the spectrum.

No comments:

Post a Comment