Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Restless

"Look, I am about to do something new; even now it is coming. Do you not see it?" (Isaiah 43:19)

About a year ago I (Scott) read this verse. I connected with it. I wrote it on a card and added it to my board in my office. I prayed to be ready for the new thing that God was doing.

Today, I read this verse again. I look back and think back and see some new things that God has brought to us. New opportunities. New challenges.

And yet.

I still feel that a new thing is coming. I'm restless. Anxious. Uneasy. Excited. And a little worried.

Because I think part of that new thing is me. I must be the new creation that God is working in me. And something is holding me back. Expectations. Old dreams and desires. Sin.

In writing this post, I did something that I rarely do. I started typing without a particular conclusion or overall theme in mind. While I often allow the writing (and God) to shape these words as I write, I usually have an idea of where it's going. Not so this time.

Things are restless. I don't know where we're headed. I don't know what's coming.

But an old hymn has come to mind. "Ready to go. Ready to stay. Ready my place to fill." I knew that I had mentioned it before so I looked. A year ago.

Am I in the same place as last year? Well, no. I see things that have changed, hopefully to the good. And yes. I'm still working to be content. I'm still working to let go of my own dreams and expectations. I'm working to rest in Him.

I'm restless. It's exciting and unsettling.

But - I think - it's where God is working.


No comments:

Post a Comment