Friday, September 4, 2015

Contentment

It's been a while since I posted. I've had interviews but no jobs. And that's okay. Here's part of the reason why.

A few weeks ago I read something about contentment - that lack of contentment is the reason we struggle spiritually. As I've pondered that, I've realized that being content is what God has been teaching me throughout this adventure.
I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know both how to have a little, and I know how to have a lot. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being content--whether well fed or hungry, whether in abundance or in need. I am able to do all things through Him who strengthens me. (Philippians 4:11-13)
When I'm content, I am joyful where I am. This point in my journey is enough. If I'm continuing to hope for something different or keep looking for what's next, am I really content? Doesn't a seed of discontent still exist if I'm wanting (even a little) a different situation or future?

I still pray and look for God's leading. I listen for what He wants us to do. As a believer, I should always be doing this.

But I am satisfied with where I am now. I am looking to enjoy my current place in our journey.

We may be at this station for a few more months. Or years. Being content is resting in God's sovereignty, knowing that where we are now is where we should be. Knowing that God's hand is in our journey - every step along the way. Knowing that God is not surprised at what happens to us.

I am releasing my own expectations of what should be happening. I will not hold on to "what ifs" or to my plans. I will not try to do things to bring about the next step. God is in control and I can rest in that. My circumstances don't matter. My feelings don't matter. My faith, my confidence, my hope rest on Him. I can be content wherever I am because of who He is.

The old hymn "Ready" (A.C. Palmer) comes to mind. The refrain of that hymn---
Ready to go, ready to stay,
Ready my place to fill;
Ready for service lowly or great,
Ready to do His will.

No comments:

Post a Comment