Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Glory for Whom?

By its very nature, a blog is self-promotion. The author writes his thoughts. People comment about the ideas or the writing or the insight - giving attention back to the author. Pride and focus on self lurk underneath the very idea of writing a blog about anything.

This past week our pastor preached about humility. He said that humility is one of the defining marks of a true Christian. Our world, our society, our country focuses on the individual and the advancement of self. We as Christians should seek to bring out the best in others, live and act in ways that help others grow and shine. We live to reflect and magnify God. We should not bring the attention back to ourselves.

Earlier last week I saw something that made me think about these things. I saw a video of Victoria Osteen speaking to her church. You may have seen it, too. (I'm not going to link to it; search for it and you can find it.) She said, in part: "Just do good for your own self. Do good because God wants you to be happy. When you come to church, when you worship Him, you're not doing it for God, really. You're doing it for yourself because that's what makes God happy." I was astounded when I saw that clip.

We worship God because He is God. He is worthy of worship. Worshiping God, and "doing good," may benefit me; I may feel happy or fulfilled. But that should not be the reason I do it. The things we do, the worship we give, are to bring glory to God. Because He is God.

As I thought about that clip (and later heard that sermon), I kept thinking about our current life adventure. And this blog. It's easy to say, "Look at what we're doing. Aren't we 'spiritual'? What great people we are." And that's the last thing I want to do. Nothing that has happened in the past months or years can be attributed to me. It's all about God.

All glory goes to God. Any success or insight or triumph or praise goes to God. We want to glorify Him. The main thing that has been emphasized in our lives through our current experiences - God is Sovereign. God is great. God is faithful. God is worthy of praise and glory, no matter what happens. It's about Him not about us.

As I reflected this past week, John 3:30 kept coming to mind.
He must increase, but I must decrease.
If this blog ever becomes more about us and less about Him, you must tell me. God, we praise You.
Our Lord and God,
You are worthy to receive
glory and honor and power,
because You have created all things,
and because of Your will
they exist and were created. (Revelation 3:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment