Monday, August 18, 2014

Replenishing Flour

I pulled up our bank account online the other day. I needed to transfer some funds; I wasn't just checking on it. I looked at the balance. It shouldn't have been that. There was much more than I expected in the account.

This isn't the first time that's happened. When I took my first teaching job two years ago, our income...well...was reduced.

And we always had enough (more than enough) to take care of our expenses. We had what we needed when we needed it.

Now, I keep getting freelance writing jobs. Cindy keeps working on her contract assignments (or new contract assignments). And we have (more than) enough to meet our needs.

The flour jar did not become empty and the oil jug did not run dry. (1 Kings 17:16)

The land was suffering a famine. Elijah traveled to Zarephath as God told him. He met a widow there. She was gathering sticks for her oven.

Elijah asked for water. As she went to get it, he said, "And bring me a piece of bread."

The widow said, "I don't have any bread. I only have a little flour and oil left. I was getting ready to make the last bit of bread for my son and me. Then we will die."

Elijah told her, "Make me a small loaf first. Then do as you planned. God says that the flour jar will not become empty and the oil jug will not run dry until rain comes."

The woman did as Elijah asked. And they ate for many days.

The flour jar did not become empty and the oil jug did not run dry, according to the word of the LORD He had spoken through Elijah.

As a man concerned about his family, I want to make sure we have what we need. As a worrier by nature, I want to plan and secure necessary funds. As a follower of God, I want to have faith.

We've learned that God will provide. Cindy had an accident this spring. The hospital bills (our portion) has been much less than we thought. Unexpected opportunities appear in the mail. The account does not become empty or run dry.

Trust. A calm mind. Putting off worry and putting on faith. These are things I'm learning or re-learning.

And the jar and the jug do not become empty.

Does that mean that we just sit around, spend what we want, and just hope that the money is there?

No, we try to be wise about our spending. We give to ministries at our church and elsewhere. We pursue whatever appears that seems to be the way He is leading.

But we trust in Him for the future.

God is faithful. He provides.

No comments:

Post a Comment