Saturday, February 9, 2019

Cleanup

Lately I've been off my game. Things seem to take a little longer when I'm writing or working. I can have difficulty getting motivated or starting something. Everything seems just a little...off.

There may be several reasons for this--not enough sleep or troubling life circumstances or just too many tasks to do. While none of these are real excuses, they could be contributing factors. But I think I know the main reason for this current state. My office is a mess.

My office is my space. It's filled with things that inspire me or help me or things I just like. A few weeks ago I decided to rearrange things. I started moving some things around. But life and work assignments intervened so I just stopped. A piece of furniture is in the middle of the space. A pile of "things to deal with" sits in front of a bookshelf. The "reading and thinking chair" is full of odds and ends waiting for their new homes. Overall, things are in total disarray.

I often have piles of resources or work papers. I sometimes wait to file things away and get a stack. In general, disarray is my go-to decorating choice.

But now - it is ridiculous. (No, I will not take a picture of it for this post.) I keep trying to work on it but "don't have time" since I have work and deadlines and such.

And my physical space is bleeding over into my mental and spiritual space. I have jumbled and piled up thoughts. I have no regular place to retreat for reading and thinking and spiritual respite. I just have physical, mental, spiritual, emotional CLUTTER.

I've mentioned before that God has been teaching me about rest for a while now. I cannot rest in this cluttered environment. I need to take a step back and just toss things out - physical paper, mental anxiety, spiritual worries. I guess spring cleaning is coming early for me this year.

From my reading today:
Blessed be the Lord, for he has heard the sound of my pleading. The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. Therefore my heart celebrates, and I give thanks to him with my song. (Psalm 28:6-7)

No comments:

Post a Comment